Wednesday, September 9, 2009

In the closet.....

You can't possible forget my love of this fabric, which Little J chose for his birthday quilt. And surely you remember the stippling disaster which resulted in hours of unpicking miles of thread. I sure haven't been able to forget.
So last night, with the unpicking completed and the help of my 'assistant', we worked on top stitching the quilt. A simple top stitch which shadowed the 4 inch squares of the quilt top. I was relieved to say the least, when it was finish and excited to add the binding - may favorite bit :-)
The joy was short lived. I was mortified to see a HUMONGOUS ripple in the top of the quilt. HORRIFIED to see the back was no longer lined up with the quilt top!!!!! It wasn't just centimetres out of line, but quite possible metres out of line and no matter how I sliced or diced it, I couldn't see how to rectify this disaster.
I cried.....
I wept.....
I didn't sleep last night it bothered me so much.....
and actually got up in the middle of the night to look at it secretly hoping it was just a bad dream....
I studied the quilt this morning before work....
and made myself late for work :-/
I spent the entire day at work thinking about it......
work productivity was at an all time low....
I vowed never to rush a quilt again and after work today, I had Mr. VW put it in the closet, YES THE CLOSET. All the way at the top where it would take serious effort for me to get to it. I couldn't bare to look at it, but couldn't stop looking at it!!!! So my theory =
:: OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND ::
The evening, after leaving my family to fend for themselves (the thought of making dinner didn't even cross my mind)
:: I took a deep breathe ::
Thankful for an excessive amount of left over fabric, I went back to the beginning. Vowed to take it slowly and started all over again.
I am now excited about this quilt and I believe my blood pressure has dropped significantly.....I am looking forward to a peaceful nights sleep. :-)

5 comments:

marigold jam said...

Oh how I I can understand your feelings! However you are a better person than me as I wouldn't have the courage or persistence to try again! Better luck this time. Can you make use of the reject in some way - perhaps cut out the sections that are OK to make a cushion to go with the second attempt which I know is going to be just fine? If not it looks as if perhaps your "assistant" was telling you how much he/she would like it!

Bon courage as they say in France.

Love

Jane

marigold jam said...

Postscript: Thanks for your kind comment on mine - I am sure your crochet flowers are just fine and not as you say and I must say that I certainly can't patchwork as you can so as they say in France a chacun son gout or in other words "each to his own" and as I might say we can't all be brilliant at everything (and some of us can't be brilliant at anything being a Jack of all trades and master of none myself!)

Jane

Around the hook said...

Oh to bad for the first quilt! It's sooo mind taking and energy taking when you have over, do again, etc...
Cool that you could prepare for a new quilt!
Hope this one will go alot better!

XXX

Tabiboo said...

I hate it when things like that happen, but I think you've done the right thing - deep breath and start again.

Nina x

Lucy-beads14 said...

Its terrible when things like that happen its just ssoooo frustrating arggg!!
Lucy x