Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day


The Labor Day weekend was kind to us here at the Gephart, although we didn't spend the weekend here and of course three days is never enough!! Little J often comments that he would like an "extra" weekend...not sure how that would work, but it sounds nice! :-)
So on Friday we hiked it (4.5 hours drive) down the mountains to spend time with the IL's working on their summer house. No photos I am afraid, too busy working and too overwhelmed to know where to start taking photos of the poor neglected house. Anyhow, it does have a lovely new roof and Mr. VW has great plans, so hopefully by Thanksgiving we'll have a nice little place on the water to retreat to.
Before collapsing on Saturday night and demanding an 'emergency' trip into town for ice cream, I spotted a great ball of fire in the sky - at least on first glance that's what I thought it was. Mr. VW quickly corrected me (Little J was a little alarmed when I spoke of a 'fireball') and told me it was just the harvest moon. I tried about twenty times to get a photo, but above is the best imagine I could produce. Doesn't really do it justice.
I did however manage to produce quite good photo of the field at night!
Before departing for a long ride home, Little J and I left Mr. VW to home renovation and took off to the local State Park in search of shark teeth = we were acting on the wise words of Mr. VW and his fond memories of trips to this park during his youth. No luck finding any teeth on the beach, much to Little J's disappointment. However, the gift shop delighted him with a rather nice specimen after Mummy coughed up $3.00.
We were only afforded a few short minutes of beach wandering before we had to head home to the distance land on the other side of the shore....Maryland :-)
For those of you on this side of the pond, hope you had a lovely Labor Day weekend and for everyone else, I hope your Monday treated you kindly. :-)
Toodles!
L

5 comments:

Tabiboo said...

Beautiful pictures and would you look at that Harvest Moon! Shame about the sharks teeth, but lucky you coughed up that $3's!!

Have a lovely week,

Nina x

marigold jam said...

Sounds as if you had a good time although hard work too! Lovely pictures and that field at night looks fab.

Jane

Around the hook said...

Yay I can imagine how the moon on fire must have looked! And I know just how hard it is to take pictures of the moon!

XXX

Lucy caitlin higham said...

Lovely piccies i love the one of the moon... a fireball is just how i would describe it!!!
:)
have a lovely week.
Lucy xxx

The Garden Bell said...

What a lovely weekend you had. I swear I know that beach front. I'll have to check your link to see. Aren't you glad we all had nice weather for Labor Day. Fall will be here too soon and then follow by the snow.