Sunday, November 15, 2009

Basket Case

Hello! Thank you all so much for your well wishes, they cheered my spirits to no end. My flu has eased up a wee bit, although for a non-smoker I am still hacking like i have a 2 pack a day habit. :-)
Anyway, refusing to write the whole weekend off as a total loss due to illness, this afternoon, probably against my better judgement I decided to tackle some basket weaving. Never done basket weaving, probably will never try it again :: way harder than it looks! I picked up this little kit on our trip to Harper's Ferry a few weeks back and unfortunately the instructions were as clear as mud. I am surprisingly quite pleased with my first effort, as wonky as it may be.
Let's take a look shall we?
Step 1 - the only clear step in the instructions (other than soaking the wood in warm water for an hour)
Step 2 - It only took until this step for my language to become R rated!
Step 3 - Language now back to a G rating level - weaving went remarkably smoothly, although by this time all hope had been lost that the bottom of the basket would ever be square or flat.
Step 4 - No photo......language now so obscene that even I was shocking myself! Inserting the handle and finishing off the top almost caused me to put the entire thing in the bin.
Step 5 - Take blurring photo of finished project! Not too bad eh??? Well the photo is rubbish, but the basket ain't too shabby for a first attempt? Might be useful for numerous crochet hooks and knitting needles?

Step 6 -Place one cute swedish mouse in basket and realize it is the perfect house for this little mouse. :-)

Toodles! I'm off to bed early in the hope I can shake this flu in time for my Monday work morning.

5 comments:

Jessie At Home! said...

Glad you are feeling better, sounds like we had/have the same thing. It's rather nasty, I hope you are free and clear of it now!
I have made 3 baskets, I took a class in August for the past 3 years. My 3rd one is almost basket-like. I keep thinking about ordering some supplies online and making a few at home. Your first is much better then most firsts, trust me, I've seen a lot! I think yours is just peachy!

marigold jam said...

Well I think it's pretty darn good for a first attempt especially if you weren't feeling too good. It is way harder than it looks I know!! Hope you are feeling better today?

Jane x

Felicity said...

hi louise sorry youve been ill! hope your on the mend now, i love your basket its fab! fliss xx

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Looks amazing betterb tahn i would have done anyway!! :) its ood that you are feeling a little better and hope you shrug it off soon, have a lovely next fuw days
Lucyxx

Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster said...

I think your basket turned out really nice. If you want to give it another try, I have some step-by-step youtube videos on basket weaving. I also like your crochet work. I've been trying to teach myself how to crochet. The little stars you made were very cute.
Nancy
www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com