Friday, February 26, 2010

Violet Sunshine

I worked from home today :: yes more snow and gale force winds :: and this little african violet caught my eye as I tapped away on my laptop. I hadn't noticed it had flowered already.

My grandmother kept african violets on the window sill of her dining room. I always remember her dining room to be a place filled with sunshine and it overlooked the tiny garden of her terrace house. It's one of the few memories I have of her home, we only got to see her during the short time we lived in the UK and the occasion we visited on holiday.

I used to talk to her on the phone about once a month and it seemed that every time I called she was always "doing the washing up and a smoking a weed" (woodbine cigarette). I think it was the only time she smoked. :-)

She lived to be 88, loved to watch the "Town" (Ipswich Town) play and was sharp as a tack right up until the last time I spoke to her.

She's been gone will over 10 years now, she was a wonderful Grandma and I smile when I think about her. My african violets will always remind me of her
Happy Friday! I hope you all have a lovely weekend.......

6 comments:

Helsie said...

Aren't we lucky to have had the sort of grandparents who leave fond memories behind them. Let's hope we are like them when our turn comes ( if it ever does! My kids are 31 and 34 this year and there is no action there yet !!!)
cheers
Helen

marigold jam said...

Lovely violet and how lucky you are to have memories of a grandmother like yours. I never had a gran as my mother's mother had died long before I was born and I nevcer knew my father's mother either. Hope your snow soon goes - we have spring here at the moment!

Louise Howe said...

Grandma sounds a hoot. Haven't you been all over the world?

Annalisa said...

Wonderful memories,I also remember my grandmother with love and affection,and the thought of her is related to a garden and flowers as well,we have something in common!
Have a lovely weekend.
Love,Annalisa

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

My mum had an African Violet in her room a few years ago - I think it had dark pink flowers. You have had so much snow! How have you coped? Thank you for my birthday wishes - I got three books from Leeds!!
Lucy xx

Val said...

Aren't memories of grandparents lovely things? I think of mine often, and thank God for the time I had with them.
Lovely flowers....my mom always kept some African violets on her aunt's old plant stand, which had multiple levels. Too bad that the kitty liked to climb the plant stand and knock them over! Alas....kitties and flowers don't always go well together!