Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Little Yarn.....

I will try my best to keep this brief - so as not to bore you silly. I live in a lovely old town, terraces houses, old churches and lovely architecture. Obviously not nearly as beautiful as the villages of England and Europe, but it did remind my of the town we lived in previously in Belgium. It has a pretty walking mall on the main street downtown. Not many shops, some nice restaurants, bakery and other odds and ends. During the daytime however, those 'visiting' the mall area are somewhat 'interesting'......that is interesting but slightly dubious meaning hang onto your handbag types. So we don't get down there much during the day, mostly because we work and don't eat out often so rarely go there in the evenings. However on Monday I had to run downtown to pay a bill at the council offices and stop by the bank. Rather than drive the three feet from the council offices to the bank being the lazy bum I am, I decided to walk.
Best decision I have made all week!!! Found a treasure which means I'll be going downtown a whole lot more. So what do you think that treasure might be??? A YARN SHOP!!!!
Millicents Yarns to be exact!!!! They were closed on Monday, so today I bribed persuaded Little J to take a little outing with me. I was nearly overcome with excitement - I have never seen so much lovely yarn in my entire life. Now I have to say I had to place my eyes back in their sockets a few times after checking prices, but it's all wool, something that is as rare as hens teeth in this town.
I had a lovely chat with the ladies in the store, surprised to hear they have a knit and natter and all sorts of classes. Unfortunately most of them occur during the week when I am working, but they do have the odd evening class. So of course I made a few purchases, with no project planned but of course I am itching to use them!
You know the best thing about Milicents? Mr. VW didn't sigh when I told him I found it and didn't groan when I had told him I went for a little visit which involved purchases - something of a miracle really!

5 comments:

Louise said...

That was indeed an excellent outcome. Some yummy yarns. Ilook forward to seeing what you do. Thnks by the way for the saucy comment it made me giggle too, I mean as if!!!!

Maria said...

What little things make us happy. Wonderful find and a little bit at a time, the expense won't be noticed - wink, wink

crochethealingandraymond said...

Love it!!! There's nothing like a good wool shop!!! Enjoy... and shag the expense... if wool makes you happy, get wool!

Felicity said...

oh what a lovely discovery! id be soooooo happy if we had a wool shop in our little town although id probably have no money left so it might be a good thing really! fliss xx

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Lovely! I love the feel of new wool and all those yummy colours....we don't have a well stocked yarn shop but there is always telephone and internet shopping, its just never the same when you can't see it and touch it first. Looking forward to seeing what you make!