Thursday, July 15, 2010

Just What I Needed.....

Remember these squares? Squares made from my first ever pure wool yarn purchase? Well what else would you expect me to make with them! ☻
I really wanted to try felting this project, but I had no clue how much it would shrink? I just kept wondering, is it big enough?
What if i felt it and end up with a coin purse? No matter how far I searched the length and breadth of the Internet to find this answer - it remains a mystery to me. So as I am the worlds biggest chicken and didn't want my first project made of real wool to end up in the back of the cupboard, keeping all my other handmade bags company I just couldn't risk it. Anyhow, there is loads of yarn left, so I am working up courage to dip my toe in the felting pool....
Happy Friday!

9 comments:

Debi Y. said...

Wow - your purse is very pretty - I like it.

becky said...

Your purse is sooo cute! Be brave...take the plunge and felt it! You will probably be surprised just how little it may shrink!

Louise said...

wow love it the colours are fantstic!!!!!!

marigold jam said...

I don't think I could bear to try felting that lovely bag either. Do a small sample first perhaps and see what happens.

Have a good weekend and thanks for visiting my blog too.

Jane

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Felting can be a fickle thing! I generally find if the item is knitted or crochet first the shrinkage is about 1/3. Making anything from roving or batts the shrinkage is almost 1/2.

Are you using a machine to felt? If you have a top loader that you can stop mid cycle, set it to the lowest settting, use only hot water and a little pure soap, then agitate for up to 20- 30 minutes. Make sure you check the item every 2 or 3 mins that way it won't felt any more than you want it to and also put the item in a laundry bag to keep the fluff out of your machine. Try a swatch first but I have to admit I rarely do that unless I am using really expensive wool.

Have fun!! :-)

Crochet with raymond said...

its so lovely as it is! It doesnt NEED to be felted to make it beautiful! Very nice, the colours go together so beautifully...

Annalisa said...

hat a wonderful bag!!!! I LOVE IT! I agree, it doesn't need to be felted, it's great like that!!!!
Love,
Annalisa

Maria said...

Love your bag. I would like to know if the handles stretch a lot as you use it or does it hold well?

Tabiboo said...

It's wonderful and very colorful.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Nina x