Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Stratford Hall

Over the Labor Day weekend, we trekked down the mountain 4.5 hours to spend time continuing the work on my IL's neglected summer house.  We've been working on this house for over a year now and quite frankly progress is S L O W  and that is a huge understatement.  Surprisingly it's even slower when they are there - they spend hours and hours discussing, considering, arguing and deciding on what to do next - it's frustrating, but I put it down to their age.  They are both close to 80 and not of complete and sound mind.

Anyhow, enough of that.  On Sunday, my MIL asked me if I would like to take a trip to visit Stratford Hall, the birthplace of Robert E. Lee.  I'll spare you the details of who this famous American is and what he did.  If you're interested I am sure Google can provide you the details.   Those folks on this side of the pond will most certainly know who he is!  To be honest, I wasn't the slightest bit interested in the house because of it's former occupant, but very excited to see such a wonderful old home that was so close by.  Just a ten minute car ride from the summer house, albeit a rather scary car ride as my MIL refused to let me drive and quite frankly, it's about time she hang up her drivers license before she ends up in a ditch.  My knuckles may never see a shade other than white again.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of bribing Little J to join us - BIG mistake!  He was bored silly with the tour of the house and I have to admit our tour guide spoke very fast and with quite a strong accent and even I struggled to understand what she was saying.  My MIL didn't help one bit by adding her own commentary when she was talking...ugh.....  So my camera spent most of the tour in my bag and photos weren't allowed inside the house.  I found this out the hard way after the tour
.
So enough rambling, here are a few photos of the house and grounds.  I'll let them speak for themselves as I really don't have the details thanks to a whining 8 year old and 78 year old who couldn't stop talking.


  It's a beautiful house, almost fully restored inside.  The grounds were amazing and one fact I do know is that is it still owned by the Lee family or so my MIL told me at least twenty times.
I loved the brick walls, although I don't think they are original,just recreated where they were originally.  If that makes sense? 

I loved the way the bricks were laid to form a pattern. 



This is the photo I took to find out that photos inside the buildings were not permitted!  We arrived a few minutes late for the tour and missed the photography rules.  I guess it was a good thing I was distracted by Little J because I would have been busted taking photos in the main house with the rest of the tour group and that would have been embarrassing!  At least Little J and I had a good giggle taking this photo.

Now remember I said I had to bribe Little J to come with us?  Did you wonder what the bribe was?  Well in addition to handing over a small fortune to spend in the gift shop (which might I add he didn't spend), I told him that we would visit the Sharks Tooth beach again!  Remember, we went to a section of the river last year?  Well that section of the river didn't reveal any teeth and I ended up having to buy them in the gift shop!

I had to steal this photo from last years post - same river, just we were about a mile downstream.  No photos this time!  There was no way my camera was coming out!  My head was firmly facing down searching for sharks teeth!!!  And YES we found some!!!  Little J was over the moon and I was in shock that we actually found these tiny sharks teeth, probably about 1cm across.
Please excuse the crap photo of shark teeth, the camera really has issues and the fact that I refuse to wait till there is daylight to take a photo doesn't help.

So, there you have it.  How I spent my Labor Day weekend - well one day of it anyway. Hope I haven't bored you silly or put you to sleep.

Happy Wednesday folks! 

PS - I LOVE long weekends, especially as they are generally followed by a nice short four day work week!!!!

3 comments:

Louise said...

How lovely blue skies too. American long weekends are supersized!! Any summer house piccies? I know its nosey rude of me but it sounds soooo romantic and posh.

marigold jam said...

What a shame your visit was somewhat spoiled by MIL and a little J not being too keen! What a lovely sunny day you had for the trip though and the beach looks lovely too.

Jane x

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

The house looks amazing especially with it's incredible chimneys!
I am glad that you had a nice long weekend!
Lucy xx