Monday, November 8, 2010

Hmm......

So I have a bit of a quandary on my hands.  You see I often take my little crochet projects to work on during my lunch hour and my boss is always very interested to see what I'm up to.  We eat lunch together everyday, during which she reads books on her iPhone and I hook away.  So after completing this project a few weeks back, she mentioned she might like a scarf too and I suggested what I great idea for a Christmas present!  I instantly regretted it the nano second the words came out of my mouth. I am such a perfectionist when it comes to making something for someone else I often get myself in a tizzy. So to cut a long story short I toddled off to the LYS in search of the perfect yarn, thinking that would solve the problem.  After shelling out quite a fortune ($7.75 for 50g) on this lovely pink yarn I rushed home to create something wonderful. 
Now 14 creations later, 13 froggings, using needles and hooks and scouring the Internet and Ravelry, I have sort of settled on this pattern.

I bought six balls and it should barely be enough for this scarf.

 The pattern is so lovely and really quite fun to do.  Its coming together quickly and the yarn is just delicious to crochet with.  In fact even to knit with as I made three attempts to knit a scarf before settling on crochet.
 The trouble is this.  It's not very soft.  I mean it feels soft in the ball, but it doesn't drape well and I think it might even bit a tad scratchy?  Well at least I think my boss might think its a tad scratchy. Of course me knowing how much it cost and how lovely the wool is thinks its wonderful.
So here's my quandary.  Will she think it's lovely being a non yarn person?  She's the nicest person and so complimentary, but I worry it's not soft enough.  Has anyone out there used this yarn before?  Should I just go purchase the cheap, acrylic, but super duper soft yarn I used in the scarf she admired?  I think part of the problem is the amount of money I spent - please don't tell Mr. VW, he may pass out - or should I just get over it?  At this point I'm leaning toward keeping it for myself and buying new yarn.
Please, your advice needed!


8 comments:

Debi Y. said...

You should buy the acrylic for your boss and keep the expensive yarn for yourself. Make yourself something nice. :)

Helsie said...

I agree with Debi. If you don't you'll worry every time you see her NOT wearing it - and anyway You deserve a nice scarf too!
Cheers
Helen

Louise said...

What they said. It is soooooo beautiful. Non crafty people can be odd about the handmade. Would it survive a handwash in some softner? Many LYS have such items I note. Then at least you can keep the wonderful pattern.

marigold jam said...

I think I'd go with the others too. Keep it for yourself as you will appreciate the yarn and all the work that's gone into it and make her another using the same pattern but in a softer cheaper yarn - after all you now know that the pattern works well.

Jane

becky said...

I have to say, I would agree with the other ladies! Keep the expensive one for yourself or give as a gift to someone you know will luv it and use the less expensive softer yarn for your boss! She will luv whatever you made because it came from you and you took the time to make her something!

The Garden Bell said...

First, the Mr. must never find out what we spend on any yarn. It's our little secret. I love the pattern. I'd keep it and make her another. She will never know the difference anyways.

Kate

Baa-Me Kniits said...

A bit late this advise but better late than never :-) I totally agree with everyone else....Keep that lovely yarn for yourself or a yarn lover and buy some acrylic for your boss.

No-one in this house except me knows how much we spend on yarn or Lego!!!

Teje said...

Hello Luise! I think you should give this for a present as you had planned! I'm just the same, worrying and thinking too much. I'm sure it's soft enough and the pattern is beautiful so she is going to love it! Also your last surley scarf is so qute! I'll like to try that'! Teje