Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's In the Bag Wednesday?

Hello! 
Happy Wednesday and welcome to March!
(I'm only one day late on welcoming this new month) 
Thank you my lovely readers for your well wishes after my recent downfall with the flu.  Very much appreciated. I'm feeling on top of the weather today! 
Thank you for stopping by for a little visit again today.  If it's your first time here, thank you for stopping by and welcome welcome welcome...if you've been here before, thank you for coming back to read my endless dribble and look at my dodgy photos!
I hope today finds you all well.  I'm feeling quite chipper this March Day.  I feel spring in the air and my daffodils are so close to blooming I could squeal with delight!  I very much love my daffodils, but I'll spare you the photos this year.
On to more interesting things....
Do you like my Patons Bag?  I picked this up a few months ago, it was one of those "Buy a bunch of yarn you don't need and we'll give you a free bag deal".  So I could hardly pass it up.  It's humongous! Mr.VW seriously needs to increase my yarn allowance so I can purchase enough to fill it.

Shall we take a peek inside??? 
As you can see, it's not nearly full enough.  It definitely needs more yarn!  I am however, on a yarn diet.  I've been busted, my secret stash discovered and told in no uncertain terms that I must finish at least one project before I start another.
Well, that was after my little trip to the yarn store last Sunday for a few balls of "cheer me up yarn".  I was still feeling a bit blue and under the weather from my bout with the flu.  A yarn purchase was in order to lift my spirits.
I've not bought this yarn before, but it was on sale (only $2.50 a ball) and it's super squishy soft. In fact, for mostly acrylic yarn (only 20% wool), it's the softest yarn ever!  
I love it! 
However, as Mr. VW was over seeing this purchase, I was limited to just five measly balls....and I was pushing my luck with that.

Anywho, before I lose you with this dribble, let's get on and see what I've been making with it. 
Yes, I've shamelessly joined the band of people making crochet flower shawls inspired by the lovely Ms.Lucy.  I won't hide the fact that generally speaking I love most of what she creates.  She does have a wonderful style and such an eye for colour - but most of you know that already.

Anyhow, as there was no convincing Mr. VW that I absolutely had to purchase the lovely Japanese book that contains the pattern, I had to make one up myself.  
 Now normally, I REALLY struggle when it comes to either reading patterns or making them up, but surprisingly I figured this one out on my first attempt!
Bit of a shock it was that I got it so fast.
And unfortunately, now I'm  hooked on making these flowers.
Not sure what I'll do with them, I don't have much of this yarn.  But they sure are pretty to just admire and stroke the soft yarn.
Of course, now all my other projects have been laid to the side AGAIN ☺
OK well I must run.
Another exciting Wednesday night at the Gephart.
You know what that means right?
Yes, the dirty dishes are calling me....

Toodles... Lx

9 comments:

marigold jam said...

So glad you are feeling better Louise. Love the flowers - you are so clever to be able to make up the pattern all by yourself. I too have bookmarked Lucy's page showing the shawl in that Japanese book but whether I will ever be able to do more than just look at the phot I doubt! Hope you find something great to make with all your flowers as I am sure you will. Happy March and here's to the back of the flu induced blues!

Jane

Louise said...

I have long admired these and you have used such wonderful colours. What are you making I wonder. I had a go at the chicken my isn't 4 ply a test on the eyes!!

Butterfly Bush Diaries said...

You can never have enough yarn to make you happy and cheer you up! :)

Maria said...

Glad to hear your feeling better. Nice work with the flowers and all by yourself - me I need instructions ☺

Regula Bartholdi said...

I'm doing these flowers right now, but they are all single. There will be a lot of work to put them all together I guess ...

Teje said...

Hi Louise, I'm happy to hear that you are better! And that you have find so wonderful new yarn! Those flowers look really beautiful!
Sunny weekend to you! Teje

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Love the flowers and colours and also the crocheting in your previous post!
Lucy xx

Regula Bartholdi said...

Hi Louise

I have some really nice pink yarn in a bad, too. It's birthday present from me to myself. I'm knitting a sweater, however, I'm not quite sure about the pattern.

But now, back to my crochet flowers ...

:-)

Crochet with Raymond said...

Hello Louise!!!
Thank you for your motivating comment!!!!!
I love your flowers, and I must say, you have got that pattern down quite magnificently!
I'm sorry to hear you've been busted, that is terrible...
I'm getting to that place, where KB is starting to frown upon yarn purchases, maybe because I've literally filled my half of the wardrobe? Up until age 27 I spent most of my life dieting, I have to say I'm in objection to starting agin now! Bring on the voluptuous curvaceuos stash! And a few better hiding places Louise!!!!!
Have a lovely lovely week
XXXXX