Thursday, July 7, 2011

Featherweight

So umm what the heck has happened to blogger?
Am I the only one who had a completely new view when logging in?
Not sure what to think right now, but this new view looks promising.

Firstly, thank you for your kind words of cheer from yesterday's post. I'd like to tell you that I'm feeling much better, however I received some news from Down Under this morning that although not unexpected, was a wee bit upsetting.  Anyway, I plowed into work today, try to keep my thoughts clear and rushed home to admire this little beauty.

Isn't this the cutest switch ever?
I mean aside from the grime.
Although, you might be a bit grimy if you been hidden in a box for 40 years.
 And these little details, seriously cute eh?


 Old School details is what I call them. 
They don't make stuff like this anymore.
(Do you see the little switch again, still cute ☺ )

 And she folds up and packs neatly away into a sweet little box.
Which, with my gold fish brain I forgot to photograph.
And she has all her original 'bits & bobs'.  Original manual, all her feet are intact, sweet little light still works (thanks to that cute little switch) and she has her original machine oil and needles.

It was ♥ love ♥ at first site.

She sews like a dream.

I'd like to thank EBay for gently prompting Mr. VW every time he logged in by showing him my recent searches - he knew I'd been admiring these for some time.
And thankful I was blessed with effective haggling skills and a hopeless shop owner who had no clue what she had!
So I got her for a steal
And of course mega big hugs and kisses to the Mister for indulging me when we stumbled across this little beauty over the long weekend lying on the floor of a very clutter thrift/junk/antique shop by the river.
 
I simply couldn't leave her behind.

Well I must rush off, it's hot and everyone is cranky and I'm in desperate need of a few minutes of hooky goodness before I nod off this evening.

Toodles....L x ♥

P.S.  She's a Singer Featherweight 221-1 from 1936 ☺


10 comments:

Grateful4Crochet said...

what a beautiful machine, my gran had one of those, I remember seeing it as a child, but I think it got lost over the years :(

Regula said...

Wonderful machine and it works. That is the best thing.

marigold jam said...

Here's wishing you many happy hours of sewing eith that beauty. Glad you are feeling better today.

Barry said...

I feel honoured to have my blog, BeenThere-DoneThat, in your list of Brilliant Blogs. Thank you!

I also notice that your Singer sewing machine is the same age as me so I think 1936 must have been an excellent year. :-)

Why is it, I wonder, that old machines often seem to run so much better than their modern equivalents?

Louise said...

Oh Louise what a gem. I can already imagine the lovely stiched things that you will make with her. A match made in heaven!!! Oh and well done on having a husband who takes a hint. He he.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Wow Louise, what a beautiful Singer! There are some in a shop window in Leeds and I just love to look at them!
Lucy xx

Jessie said...

Wow! So pretty! You are a lucky lady indeed. Have fun with her.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I haven't noticed anything new about blogger except being unable to leave comments again :-(

Love the sewing machine! I just got myself one in a desk that just needs the belt replacing. Apparently the lady learnt to sew on it so did her mum and her grandmother! Not sure what year it is will have to try to find a stamp on it or something. I really want one of those old treadle ones.....I'll keep looking :-)

Angela said...

Oh my that is one gorgeous machine!

Tabiboo said...

So pretty.

I love the old school details too.

Nina x