Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Short Woolie Tale

I do promise to try and keep this short.....
I trip to Blacksburg to drop off Big J resulted in the surprise discovery of a yarn/wool shop right next to our favorite burger joint.
What a lovely surprise I thought?

The Mister gave me permission to make a small purchase, but as the boys were waiting impatiently happily in the car, I had to make my purchase in haste.
With the goal to stretch my $$ as far as possible, I bee-lined it for the sale bin - 50% off. 

Hastily made a selection based on colour and softness...

Fell head over heels in love with two skeins...

Glanced quickly at the price...

Restored my eyeballs back to sockets...

Succumbed to pushy sales assistant pushyness...

Made purchase...

Ran to car...

Instantly had the worst case of buyers remorse...

I mean the worst case EVER, the sick to my stomach what-on-earth- have-I-done worst. 
Even at 50% off this yarn was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than any yarn I've ever bought.  Plus the colour didn't seem quite the same once I got a really good look at it.
How the heck did I fall in love with this????
 I very nearly wept. (Of course I was already a tad teary eyed with saying goodbye to the Big J.)

For the six hour car journey home I randomly stroked my yarn, trying my bestest to love it again.
Devised various plans to make something brilliant so my love would be restored.
After the journey to Blacksburg and back I was exhausted and the yarn was promptly plopped in my woolie basket.
On Friday night, in the quiet of my bedroom, the boys downstairs saving the world on the XBOX, I tried knitting with it, casting on and off several times and when that failed crocheting with it to no avail.
Saturday night, determined to make something with this expensive purchase I cast on enought stitches to make a make-it-up-as-you-go-along hat with my pointy DPNs. (Clearly at this point I'd lost my mind.)
Watched some bang bang shoot 'em movie with my boys....
And fell in love with my yarn again!
So much so that the Mister has even entertained the idea of me buying more of this yarn to make a cardigan.

Nuts eh?

Must be off!

Toodles...L x ♥

1 comment:

Baa-Me Kniits said...

See trust your instinct :-) It is lovely wool and such a nice colour....can't wait to see what it ends up as!