Monday, September 12, 2011

I am not Alone

I'm just ducking by very quickly to say a hugmungous thank you for the lovely wonderfully reassuring advice I received on my knitting.  Do you know how much of a relief it was to hear that it's ok to drop your right needle?  Knowing I'm not the only person who when they drop a stitch it automatically means the entire project will be frogged?  I smiled and sighed a big sigh of relief with this wonderful advice from some folks who's knitting I am in awe of and dream to be able to knit like them one day.
So here's what I've done ::

  •  Frogged the cardigan in progress, all except the first three rows.  If you can believe it I actually managed to pick up the stitches successfully! (It's amazing how many stitches you can rescue with the pointy end of a stitch holder)
  • Ditched the stocking stitch and reverted to plain old garter  - don't panic I'm making the easiest top down cardigan pattern ever invented.
  • Chucked the metal needles and reverted to bamboo two sizes up - I seem way more relaxed with bamboo or it's harder for me to make tight little stiches with them.
  • Bought myself some proper stitch markers - bits of yarn just weren't working as I kept catching them in my knitting. The story of this purchase at my LYS is another story that I hope never to relive.  Let's say my LYS is not a place I'll be frequenting anytime soon.
  • Sighed a very deep sigh of relief, relaxed and found myself a comfying dog/child free place to knit. 
And it's working.  I'm loving my knitting.  Today at lunchtime I knitted a couple of rows AND browsed a magazine.  No swearing or dropped stitches and I was smiling at the end of lunch.

Again BIG BIG thank you for your support and advice.  Glad to know I'm not alone as I wade into the knitting pool.

Must be off, I believe that's the dinner I smell burning!

Toodles . . . L x ♥

6 comments:

Regula said...

Good morning Louise

I'm glad you've found a way. :-)

And thank you for commenting on my blog.

marigold jam said...

So glad you have found a way to enjoy knitting and hope that the jumper will turn out well and that you will then be inspired to continue on the learning curve! Thanks for you comment on my blog - I hope that if you ever do make it across the pond we will be able to meet up somewhere.

Louise said...

Yes I was blown away by the huge amount of advice you got so generus of people (dont include my novice ramblings) what yummy yarn, very rich.

The Butterfly Bush Diaries said...

Gosh you did better than me regarding the frogging. I just know I would not be able to pick up any frogged stitches - I'd have to start again so well done for that. One day I'll be brave and try it but for now it's frogging to the max lol!!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Fantastic, glad to hear you were smiling too....and reading a magazine! :-)

Tea at Weasel's said...

I really need to get going on a knitting project again soon, I just frogged a cowl I was knitting to start on a crochet scarf... I'm such a wimp when it comes to dropping stitches!! Love the yarn you are using and so glad your knitting is finally making you smile :)

Lovely blog you have here too, thanks for leaving a lovely comment on mine... I'll be back soon!

Louise xx