Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sampler Blanket

 Brrrrr.....
I've just come in from outside where I thought I could spend a few minutes working on my latest project.
Silly me.
It's freezing outside.  Probably explains why the Mister has turned the heat on.  Mind you, I'm not complaining.  After a long hot summer I'm loving this cool weather.  We've even had a few flurries of snow up the road about 8 miles on top of the mountain.
So I've hauled my new project and my *new* basket back inside and will try to block out the sounds of Little J blasting zombies on the XBox and enjoy a few more hooky lines on this lovely Sunday afternoon.
I must say, the nasturtiums are enjoying the cool weather.  After 12 years of living in this house and planting them without fail every year, this is the first time they have grown and flourished.  I ♥ love ♥ these flowers. They remind me of the cool winters in Perth and how they grew like weeds in our back yard. No annual planting necessary, they just popped up through the rocks of our terraced backed yard.
 In a real leap of faith this year the Mister and I decided to purchase an apple tree.  We don't have particularly green thumbs and our home is also occupied by a small boy re-known for severing limbs off of trees and other various greenery when he's outside pretending to save the world from evil.
It's sort of a fancy apple tree.  A wee bit pricey, but that's because it's been grafted.  It should, in theory grow 5 different types of apples.  Yes 5!  Thus allowing us to have just one tree in our tiny yard.  In fact it had the most delicious apple on it when we purchased it.  So fingers crossed that we will a/ follow the instructions provided by the nursery so it will survive till spring and b/ that Little J won't decide that we only need just 4 types of apples.
 We've had loads of rain these last two weeks.  The ground is very wet and soft, which a certain brown dog (Sally) is thoroughly enjoying.  She's dug the deepest hole known to dog-kind and even though her nickname is 'the stomach' she won't even break from digging to come and eat her dinner. 
There she is, bum in the air, digging like there is no tomorrow in our old veggie patch. 
 So back to my new project.  
Hmmm...I'm loving this one. 
It's a creation out of my head.  A sampler blanket of sorts.  Just random rows of stitching, making some of them up as I go along, practicing new stitches on find on the w.w.w, but which makes it very difficult for me to ensure I don't increase/decrease the stitches row after row. 
 A couple of times I've had to employ the counting skills of the Mister to ensure I'm on track.  That's because my counting skills are quite crap. It takes but a mere blip in my concentration for me to lose track.  It goes something like this for example if I count in two's - 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 29, 30...  You can see where that leads right?  Or when I get to 58, 59, 70...like the sixties don't exist at all.  Luckily the Mister is quite happy to lend a hand or a count in this case. 
Yes, yes, I've added a few stitches and lost a few row after row, but it's still fairly even.

Anyway.  I must be off!  Although it's Sunday afternoon I must still nip to the shops in order to feed my family this week.  They do like food you know.  ☺
Happy Sunday!

Toodles . . . . L x ♥

5 comments:

Grateful4Crochet said...

I love your sampler blanket!!!
I adore the colours, and I really love the idea of practicing stitches like that!
It looks fantastic

Helsie said...

I LOVE that blanket.! It is fabulous!What a great idea. Don't stop, it will be lovely and unique when you finish it.
Cheers

Louise said...

Love love love the blanket. The colours are amazing and I like the texture that comes from the stitches. Fingers crossed for the apples they sound lovely.

millefeuilles said...

Dear Louise,

Your sampler blanket is stunning!

I really enjoyed this gardening/crochet post and I too am rubbish at counting stitiches ;-)

Have a lovely weekend.

Jessie said...

I'm quite in love with this blanket. The colors and the pattern are so beautiful! I look forward to watching it grow.

ps ~ there are quite a few people out there who have forgotten the 60s.