Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Camera in a Coma

I have found that since the nights are drawing close earlier and earlier - meaning by the time I get home at 5:30pm it's pitch black - that this early darkness, along with my full-time job that barely lets me see the light of day during the winter, as set my camera into a sleepy little coma and I find little to no time to take photos that are worthy of my blog.  Those two days a week when I am home seem to slip by entirely too fast before I get my camera clicking.
However, I have used a few of my precious weekend hours to do a little early morning quilting before the men-folk of the Gephart rise.
I use the patterns from this book which I ad♥re!  If cyou are ontemplating venturing into the world of quilting, starting small is the way-to-go.  It's what got me hooked.

 I love to sew/knit/crochet and listen to a good movie, usually one I've seen a few thousand times before, so watching the screen is not always necessary.  At the moment I'm hooked on Larkrise to Candleford. I've downloaded all three of the seasons currently available on iTunes and I have watched all of them numerous times.  Yes all three season at least twice each - working from home has its advantages.
 I'm enjoy putting together little stars to make a teeny tiny little quilt. They come together quickly and are easy peasy to make. I'm not wild about the fabric - not sure what I was thinking when I bought these patterns, but oh well. I might try a little tea staining to age the quilt abit when I am done.
 What I am really L♥VING is the machine I'm using to put them together.  As you may or may not remember, I have two vintage machines already (this one and this one), both of which I find far more pleasing to use than my modern electronic one that has been banished to the cupboard.
  The other day, while the Mr. was perusing the dusty shelves of a newly found flea market he spotted a sad and rather grim looking Singer 66 on a bottom shelf looking rather forlorn, but with the wonderful price of just $20.  I was dubious about the purchase - it was covered in dust, grime and cobwebs and the cord had practically disintegrated.  But the Mr. was certain that she was worth her price tag and perhaps a few bob more.  Before I knew it she was bought and in the boot of my car.
After some serious cleaning and removal of her motor, we found some wonderful shiny bits, quite a few scratches and not much left of her decals, but that was all forgive once we discovered she's been around since 1925!!!! 
 It took quite a bit oiling to get her bits moving again and after a little rummaging on the WWW I was able to find her a little hand crank, so her motor was no longer needed.
Yes, she looks a wee bit rough (better in real life, the photos are crap due to lack of sunshine) and I believe she has been well used, but if I look this good and still operational when I am 86 years old I think I'll be quite happy.
She sews like a dream with her new hand crank, even though it has taken some getting use to on my part.  I still find my foot looking for the sewing pedal each time I use her!  It makes me chuckle.
The mister has promised to fix her little box, it's looking quite tatty, but he assures me it's all fixable.
I have not admit that she is not the first sewing machine 'we' (that being me AND the Mr. - I will not accept responsibility for our 'collection' alone) have rescued this year.  Yes there are more, well just two, but I'll show you those another day.
So if your in the need of a sewing machine, I highly recommend searching the shelves of your local flea market/thrift/charity shop.  These old beauties sew like a charm.

Must be off!  I smell the dinner burning.....again....

Toodles....L ♥ xxx

P.S. Speaking of burning the dinner.
I made Green Bean casserole last night, a special request from Little J.  This is something that I normally only make on Thanksgiving or Christmas, but he was persistent in his request for his 'favorite' dish.
Two bites into he says "Mum, this doesn't taste like the one you made on Thanksgiving. Did you do something different?". 

One guess what I did different?

Yes, that's right, I ever so slightly over-cooked (they were dark brown not black, so I shan't say I burnt them)the french fried onions which I put on top and then hastily mixed them in!!!
Needless to say Little J didn't want to eat his green bean casserole.


2 comments:

Louise said...

I learned to sew on a hand operated machine, they are so controlable. I love the fabrics of your quilt, very festive. Beautiful post, I will look out for machines too now.

Louise said...

I learnt to sew on one those machines. I recently bought one for £15.00 from a Charity Shop. I have 3 machines and an overlocker I dare not bring anymore home. I can quite see how you would enjoy sewing on you other two machines compared to the Brother. Today I had North & South on the tv, as I cleared up after painting, listening and then turning my head on the interesting bits.