Monday, December 26, 2011

How I Spent Christmas....

I know normal people spend Christmas Day with family enjoying the festivities, but as its just 'us', meaning me and my boys with no family for a few hundred miles, we don't normally leave the house on Christmas Day.  So as to be expected, once the gifts were opened, the turkey was in the oven and I was orphaned to the XBox I decided it was time to tinker with a recent Etsy purchase (oh and enjoy my amaryllis which has four of the most magnificent flowers).
 You see the evening before I decided to give the my little Singer 99 a 'go' after Big J had rewired the motor and foot pedal for me. It's a little beauty of a machine which I purchased for the pricely sum of $20 on Etsy.  Quite similar in size to my Featherweight 221-1. 
  Of course, despite all my cleaning, oiling and TLC there was still a problem with the tension. So I took it upon myself to take the tension button apart.
A huge mistake!
I mean H U G E
and I knew it the second I did it.
I scoured the Internet, swore profusely at it, stomped my feet and even shed a tear and I still couldn't get the button back together properly.
One major melt down later I decided that even though it was Christmas Eve, and most people would not be reading email, that I would email a very nice gentleman who had pestered in the past with my endless questions about old sewing machines.  He's a lovely chap and I do encourage you to stop by his blog if you're even the tiniest bit interested in purchasing an old machine.
 Much to my surprise and luck, he replied most promptly on Christmas Day!  I was thrilled beyond belief and with his clever guidance and pages he sent from an old Singer manual I managed to get my old sewing machine humming along quite nicely within a couple of hours.
Isn't it just amazing who you can meet and what you can find on the internet?  It really is the most resourceful tool ever and you can meet the friendliest of people.  I never would have gotten this machine fixed if it wasn't for my internet 'friend'.
So while the men-folk fought the evils on the XBox and the turkey browned up nicely (perhaps a tiny bit too brown) in the oven, the Singer 99 and I finished up my little Christmas Quilt. 

 A wee bit late for this year, but it will bring fond memories for next year.

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

Toodles...L x ♥



8 comments:

Babajeza said...

What a lovely post. I wish you all the best with your Singer. :-)

Louise said...

Oh how wonderful that you have managed to fix your machine, and what a kind man to share his knowledge. I shall pop over and ask him about my Bernina. The quilt is lovely, I like your choice of materials.
louise x

Pearly Queen said...

You might be interested in this site:
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/technical_information/sewing_machine_manual/

They send machines out to Africa and provide lots of info about refurbishing Singer Sewing Machines...

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I think I might be using your link as I have an old Singer sitting in the carport, I think it just needs a new belt and a bit of a service??

Beautiful Quilt and just right for the festive season, clever you :-)

winkieflash said...

What a lovely crafty Christmas story! And how nice of that gentleman to help you with your beautiful Singer. The love truly shows in your quilt :)
xo,
wink

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Merry Christmas Louise. Best wishes for 2012!
Lucy xx

Boxoftrix said...

Amazing yes! how lovely that you managed to finish your Christmas quilt on Christmas day!
Thankyou for adding a link in your post telling us about such a kind man :) I emailed him today about my sewing machine problem and he has already been in touch to help out....truely a kind gentleman indeed :)

Louise said...

Oh how wonderful. Thanks nice man, we have all benefitted from his generosity, what a smasher Louise. All the best for 2012 xx