Thursday, March 1, 2012

Blossom Blouse

A long time ago, before I moved across the vast expanse of ocean from Down Under, back in the day when I still had a waist line, could see my feet and still shopped in the 'single digits' for sizes I used to make my own clothes.  Sometimes from patterns, mostly from crazy ideas in my head. 
And then, the middle age spread arrived, it sort of snuck up on me and has yet to depart.  I've waved it fair well a many a time, but it just refuses to leave. 
Anyhow, I find this middle age spread makes it a wee bit enormously challenging when it comes to making my own  clothes.  I think my brain still thinks only in single digit sizes! 

I don't think I'm huge by any stretch of the imagination, but it would do me no harm to lose a few inches here, there and well everywhere!
Anyway, like most people I have a few items of clothing I just love. I wear them to bits, literally. I have one shirt that I purchased many years back that I just adore and have worn till it was no longer fit for public viewing or even mucking around the house. 
So the other day, I make a huge leap of faith and cut it up!
Snip.....Snip.....Snip
Carefully, ever so carefully pinned it to a lovely, but not terribly expensive piece of cotton.
More snip.....snip.....snip around the pieces.
Figured out the logistics of putting my 'new' pieces back together.
Indulged in some mild swearing to calm my nerves.
Listened for the 100th time to my DVD of Pride & Prejudice.  Nothing like a little bit of Colin to calm you down.  ☺
Et Voila!  A shirt was made!
It fits and everything!
And I L♥VE it as much as the original.
Now there are plans to make many many more.

In fact, my little sewing machine is calling me now!

Toodles...L x ♥

P.S. Please excuse the wibbly wobbly photos, it is vERy windy here today.





6 comments:

Boxoftrix said...

Great, it's so nice when you can re-cycle and re-wear somthing you felt comfortable in. It looks fab!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Its beautiful!! Well done and well done for being able to cut up the original :-) I can relate to the middle age spread and I am not huge either but it is hard to get my head around my new body shape and get clothes for it. I think I will have to make more of my own too. Have a great weekend Louise wearing your new blouse :-)

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Hey Louise check out this new online course from Craftsy....looks right up our alley

http://www.craftsy.com/class/Jean-ius-Reverse-Engineer-Your-Favorite-Fit/60;jsessionid=C703941CF3B4DB61708611174150BA0A.marley

Jen xx

Tabiboo said...

It's gorgeous and I love the pattern.

I think a little bit of (mild) swearing to calm he nerves is a must when it comes to these things.

Have a lovely weekend

Nina xxxx

Louise said...

Wow cudos. Thats lovely Louise and P and P is my favourite too!! Thats a lot of common loves. xx

Tea at Weasel's said...

Wow! That's amazing... You clever thing. I am in total awe of people who can sew/adapt/make from scratch their own clothing! Your shirt looks FAB, wear with pride (I certainly would!) xxx