Saturday, July 7, 2012

** July **

July has arrived in full force this year. 
We spent the first three days of the month without power. I can live without electricity - for a short period of time, maybe a few days, but I can't do it when the temperature is in the triple digits, humidity is over 90%, with a 10 year old crying for his XBox and a very fluffy dog who huffed and puffed all night long because she could not understand why the airconditioning was not on.  Poor Pigpen.  It was quite beyond her.  She heaved a big sigh of relief when the air conditioner was turned on and moved faster than I have ever seen her move to get right in front of it to cool off. 
It wasn't a great start to the month, but I am grateful that we do not live on well water which many of our friends have and does not work without electricity and I'm not one of the poor people in our town who still don't have power more than a week after the storm

Even since the 'big storm' we've had more triple digit weather and crazy storms.  The 4th of July was a real treat thanks to mother nature and the City of Cumberland!
The storm clouds were very intimidating  - especially after the damange caused by the last storm.
As we waited for the fireworks we watched the storm turns the lights on and off over our little town. We watched too many firetrucks race around the city attending to more downed trees and transformer fires.
Folks were very nervous everytime those lights flickered.  Holding their breath hoping they'd come back on. 
 I tried my darndest to get a photo of the amazing lightning that went on for over an hour with my fancy new camera.  The Mister caught it on his first snap with cheap crappy prepaid mobile phone. I was not amused, stamped my foot and turned my camera off.
 But I was able to capture the fireworks! Ok so maybe not the most impressive photo, but it's mine!
 I have made the most of the heat by staying in the cool.  Putting some miles on one of my sewing machines.
 Cutting up hundreds of four inch squares.
 Two hundred to be preciseTwo of each colour
 I did some shuffling, some jumbling, some laying out, some stitching, unstitching, too much unstitching before I settled on a rainbowish type pattern.
After I managed to sew all the squares together, I dragged the Mister outside in the 103° heat to take a quick snap.
Of course Little J had to join in. 
Don't tell anyone, but he has on nothing but his undies (boxer shorts)in this photo - Little J that is, not the Mister. The poor Mister had just arrived home for a jolly to Chambersburg with his Mason buddies and was sweltering in long pants, long sleeves and a tie!  Poor man, the things I make him do.

I think it needs a border, but I'm not sure how to approach that.  Do I do long strips of solid colours or more patterns?
I thought maybe a gingham would be nice?
Red or blue ginham?  Or even green?
What do you think?

How is your July treating you?
I hope your weather is sunny and cool.

Must be off!
Toodles...L x ♥

4 comments:

Babajeza said...

Aren't squares just beautiful? I', waiting to see how you are making the border.

marigold jam said...

Love your rainbow quilt. I am always in awe of those ladies who can run up such a fabulous thing as a quilt - as you know my efforts stop far short of that! A plain border would really show off the wonderful variety of different square you have there in my humble opinion but I am sure whatever you decide to do will look great. I do hope it will cool down for you soon - the weather has been really weird this summer hasn't it? We are still waiting for some sunshine and warmth here - temperatures are in the teens and it's wet, wet, wet!

Louise said...

Love the quilting very jolly. Maybe wherever it is going will determine the border colour,I love the red gingham though.
Weve had such a lot of rain here, On Friday we were supposed to have 2 months rain in one day, felt like it.
Keep Cool!
louise

Louise said...

Oh poor you, the heat!! Mostly its wet here but we have had some humid days too and they have been the worst. We are ok but the rain has been serious in places. Your quilt is beautiful, I love it. I too have been employing son to hold items for photographing. Keep cool Louise.